Monday, January 18, 2010

Would you rather...?

This meme was started by J. Scott Savage, author of the Farworld series. I became aware of this because my friend Jacoby (he's back!!! Yay! ^__^) wrote his own answers to the questions that Savage asked. It's wanna-be author themed, so this is perfect for me!

Would you rather:
1) Get a huge advance on your next book but have it be shredded by the book critics, or make almost no money on the book (even after the awards were announced), but receive top awards?
Money is tempting, but I would hate being booed by critics. ~,~ If I received big awards, not only would I be thoroughly honored, but I'd probably have more of a chance of being well known. Hey, I can make money some other way aside from my writing.

2) Write a book adored by millions of readers you don’t know, but despised by your friends and family, or write a book your friends and family love, but everyone else hates?
Hmm... a book enjoyed by the people I'm closest with, or by millions of strangers? 0,o I'd go with the strangers. Come on! Adored by millions! That's what I want to be. ^_^ My family and friends will still love me, even if they hate the book I write.

3) Have your book made into a big budget film with lots of publicity and stars, that bombs, or not have your book made into a movie at all?
Okay, at first I was going to say I would want a film based on my book, but then I noticed the question says that it would bomb. So in that case, no, I'd rather not have the image of my book ruined by a flop movie. But it is one of my fantasies to have a movie made from my book. Harry Potter, anyone?

4) Only be able to write in a genre you don’t enjoy but sells like crazy, or write what you love but always sell poorly.
How on earth can I write something that I wouldn't enjoy reading myself? I will always write what I love, or not at all.

5) Get the agent of your dreams, knowing they are only lukewarm on your project, or a so-so agent who LOVES your manuscript?
What is the agent of my dreams? I'm still nowhere near finishing my manuscript, so I have no thoughts on agents yet. But I want someone who believes in me and my story.

6) Publish only one book, but have it be a classic, or publish dozens of mid-listers?
Really, I'm working on pretty much one project. I'll probably write many others. But if the only book I could publish turned out to become an instant classic, I'd be happy. My goal is to become a household name in some manner.

7) Write books that are very slow reading, but extremely thought-provoking, or quick reads that make people laugh and cry?
I don't know what counts as a quick read. I make short work out of 300-400 page books, and I read Stephenie Meyer's The Host in just 3 days. I'd definitely want to illicit that strong kind of response from my reading, though I'd prefer to make people laugh than cry.

8) Sign a contract that guarantees $75k a year for the next twenty years, or an all or nothing deal that has a 50/50 chance of paying out nothing or twenty million?
Let me say that $75,000 x 20 = $1,500,000, half a million less than $2,000,000. But still, $75K a year is an exorbitant amount of moolah! I wouldn't gamble 2 mil on the flip of a coin. I don't know who'd be dumb enough to pick instant gratification or complete nada over the guarantee of thousands of dollars every year.

9) Publish a book that is a genre that is all the rage right now, or one that breaks new ground?
This is a tougher question... I don't know how I'm supposed to write a book that breaks new ground, whatever that means. I'd probably go with a tried and true genre.

10) Publish amazing books that everyone loves, but never read another book, or read the best books for the rest of your life, but never publish a thing?
~,~ What a choice! Either I can pen and publish awesome books but never get the chance to read again, or I can keep my most favorite hobby in the world, but never see my work sitting on a book shelf or in a reader's hands. I really want to be a famous author, so if I had to give up reading for that to happen, I want to think I'd make that choice, but... I do so love to read!

As a bonus challenge, Savage asked for a famous rock song about writer's block. The only thing that comes to mind for me is a song by the Beatles, one of my favorite classic bands. "Paperback Writer," written by Paul McCartney. It's not about writer's block per se, but it's about trying to get published, and I really like it. ^_^

2 comments:

J.N. Future Author said...

^.^ We choose pretty much the same answers! ^.^

J Scott Savage said...

Magenta, I liked your explanations as much as your answers. The song is "Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen. read the lyrics. You'll be surprised. the title is a great metaphor too.