Monday, November 2, 2009

Late Halloween/ NaNoWriMo post

Well, this may be a little late, but I just wanted to say it anyway... Happy Halloween!

I've had a wonderful, spooky, candy filled weekend. And I do mean candy filled. I hope everyone else had as good a Halloween as I did. For one thing, I got to dress up as 2 things for Halloween, not just 1. Yeah, I got to be a hippie and Michael Jackson. Jealous? ^_~ I didn't win any prizes for either costume, but I had tons of fun anyway. It's liberating, isn't it? Pretending to be someone else for the day? Forget trick or treating. Being another character, someone who isn't me, is just such a fun feeling. It's a pretty good high.

So here's something else. I told you my brother Adam was going to dress up as something totally wicked awesome, didn't I? Well, I couldn't have predicted the response he got from everybody... See, he dressed up as Edward Scissorhands! Doesn't he look so cooool?! Just check out the comparison between him and the real thing:

Pretty cool, huh? He won 1st place in a contest. $25 for a Walmart card! Okay, granted, that isn't that big a prize, but we're still excited that he got it. Anyway, it was fun to see everyone recognizing him. Total strangers kept pointing at Adam and whispering to themselves, "Look, it's Edward Scissorhands! How creative!" Mostly, this was grown-ups talking to their little kids, who probably had never heard of Edward Scissorhands. (Huh, probably the only other Edward they ever hear about is Cullen. *pff*) It was such a thrill. Adam couldn't smile a lot, because of his makeup, but I know he was excited to hear people appreciating his costume. I felt like I was walking next to a movie star! ^_^ I guess the only thing missing was the paparazzi. (Well, actually, several people did feel compelled to ask Adam to take a picture with them, so...)

When we got home, I taped all the candy wrappers of the chocolate and stuff I'd collected from "Trick or Treating" in my little scrap-book. I'm not sure why I want to save the candy garbage, but I do. Maybe some time in the future I'll need to be reminded of all the brands that used to exist. Who knows what kinds of chocolate my kids or my grandkids will be offered? I can show them what we used to have. Reeses, Milky Way, Snickers, Tootsie Rolls... all that jazz. Also when we got home, we watched a bunch of Halloween specials on TV. My favorite shows were the Rosanne specials. I don't normally watch that show, but that woman and her family are so passionate about Halloween and playing gory tricks on each other, and I really respect that. It's funny stuff.

Yesterday my family relaxed after all the Halloween madness, and went to the beach. Since it was the official start of NaNoWriMo, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to write anything, but I soon solved that. I brought a notebook with me and wrote in that, to be copied on computer later when I got home. Now, I was unfortunately unable to reach 1,667 words my first day, but I did at least break 1,000. I promise I'll do better tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on my progress as much as I can.

Well, looks like the next thing to look forward to is Thanksgiving! ^_^

No comments: