Monday, November 9, 2009

Cloud Haikus.

The clouds are huge puffs
of fine white pillow stuffing.
That's what I believe.

They float in the sky,
slowly, lazily almost,
because there's no rush.

The wind is quite strong.
It's God's never-ending breath,
swirling around us.

He/ She /It /They blow
on the clouds, pushing them all
across the big blue.

The clouds' destiny
is a mystery that's been
hidden from humans.

But someday I will
fly to the clouds, higher up
than anybody.

I'll shoot hero-like,
straight as an arrow so fast,
that I'll hardly breath.

I won't look down as
I slice through the air, focused
instead on my goal.

Finally I'm there,
hovering beside my cloud,
and I climb on it.

It makes the softest
bed you'll ever know in life.
It supports my weight.

Curious, I peek
over the edge of my puff.
Do my eyes deceive?

Below are mountains,
oceans and trees, and many
tiny points of light.

My world is wondrous,
and I'm high above it all!
Well, not entirely.

My heart is still down
on Earth, with a friend I miss.
I must go back home.

I jump off the cloud
with no fear whatsoever.
Life is but a dream.

God's wind lets me drift
very gently down, as if
I were a feather.

You see me falling,
but you're in time to catch mein your waiting arms.

I open my eyes,
see the happy way you look
at me, and I smile.

We lie in a field
much softer than any cloud,
and we're holding hands.

My head still goes up
in the sky sometimes, but I'll
never leave you, friend.
*********************************
I got inspired to write this poem on the beach yesterday. The wind was incredibly strong. The ocean was very wild and wavy as a result, and it was totally awesome to swim in! Since the pressure of NaNoWriMo was off my back (but I still wanted to write), I took a notebook to write whatever, and I felt I would write some haikus. You know what those are? A line of 5 syllables, then a line of 7 syllables, and then 5 again.

I didn't feel that one haiku was enough to do my feelings justice, so I wrote another. Then another. And another, until a real "storyline" seemed to develop out of it. It's weird, but I don't have a lot of experience with writing haikus. While thinking very hard about each syllable, I suppose I put a lot of heart into it. I got inspired to write the last part by that Hayao Miyazaki classic, "Castle in the Sky." (I blogged about it here.)

I've been told that this poem is incredible. I remain humble. What do you think?

^_^ I also got a letter from a very good friend today. ^_~

5 comments:

Q said...

This is very interesting. I've never seen such a long string of haiku before.

Say, I got a letter today, too!

Deb said...

I think your Haiku is beautiful. Great job!

Silvergal said...

I absolutely love your Haiku Bettina, you are such a talented writer in so many ways. I also love the images you included...

Rainy said...

That's really creative, what you did with those haikus. Great idea, great poem.

I'm glad you haven't given up on writing, but just NaNo. Good luck with Imazia!

I can't write haikus at all. I think of them as a restriction. You do great with them though!

J.N. Future Author said...

I think its something pretty special ^.~