Monday, June 22, 2009

Surprised? (I am too ^,~)

Wowee wow wow! I can hardly believe how slow the day seems to be going, and on today of all days! I expected it to be quick and painless, but it's long and drawn out... but don't worry, it's still painless.

I thought I would be busily packing alllllll day, but it turns out we're not taking so much. We're just going to Boston for two weeks, after all. We were done before it was even noon! So I've been relaxing and relishing the normalness of my present situation before it's temporarily taken away from me.

I'm very happy that I'm honestly able to blog my "last" post here without feeling rushed or pressured (or tired, for that matter!). I'm writing at our library right now, enjoying some A.C. It's very hot out there! (Duh! Florida in the heat of June!) I vaguely wonder whether I'm going to miss this humid mugginess in cool Massachusetts...

Good news: We got our Skype to work, so now we coop-flying twins can still hear our family's voices from far away without resorting to a pay-phone! (My family doesn't use cellphones, btw. Sure saves a lot of money!)

I've been passing my idle time by reading (yeah, like that's a big surprise!) a special book that I think was written by my mom's best friend. She (Mom's best friend) compiled all these deep, random, meaningful stories in a manner similar to "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books, put her name on the cover and called it Thin Threads. I really like it, because they're just 2-3 page stories about people with inspiring tales. I think it's good that I'm reading it now (though it was supposed to be my reading material for the three-hour flight tomorrow morning!), because it makes me think about my own journey and how I will (hopefully) gather up some much-needed life lessons. I don't know what those lessons are, but I guess that's what happens when life is your teacher...

Again, I'm pleasantly surprised that today has turned into a slow, long thing to enjoy. Who knows how hectic my life will turn once I step on that plane? Even with all our planning and preparations, even I don't know. Weird. Even before I've left, I've taken to heart one perfect life lesson:
Yesterday is history, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the Present. ^,~

Today has been a gift. I have parents who love me and will support me, no matter what happens. I spent some time with my brother Adam today reading from one of my old journals (2007!) about the time we went to Israel for 10 weeks. The day before we left on that trip, it seemed to me that that day also felt dreadfully dragged out. Perhaps it was for the same purpose as now... So I can appreciate everything that is familiar to me even more...

And I predict that when I come home in two week's time, I'll be blogging back here and saying, "Wow, it's as if I never left in the first place!" (Though of course it will, because I will return with many new memories and experiences. Interesting that I can predict that happening.)^_~

I'll sure miss you, but don't think about missing me too much!

2 comments:

J.N. Future Author said...

wow, is it coincidence that I got skype working the same time you did? I swear, sometimes i think we share the same brain! ^.~

I'm so excited for you! but I'm also hoping to hear from you as usual! ^.^ I'd be sad without one of my best friends!!

Silvergal said...

Great post Bettina,it's pretty fun living our daily life and then reading it through your eyes...