Friday, January 28, 2011

My Life in a Day review

Well, I saw the YouTube documentary "Life in a Day" last night, just like I said I would. It was a cinematic experience that I doubt I will easily forget. (I'm sure if you had seen it yourself, you would probably say the same thing.)

If you were unable to catch the live stream from the Sundance Film Festival to YouTube last night, then I sincerely pity you. Now you won't be able to see it until it comes on DVD! ~,~

It's kind of hard for me to describe what I thought about the film. On the whole, I'd have to say I LOVED watching it. A lot of it was beautiful, educational, thought-provoking, and poignant. (Haha, I don't often get the opportunity to use the word poignant. =P) On the other hand, some parts of the movie were weird, unnecessary, foreign, and even horrifying! O,o I'd have been a lot happier if those parts had NOT been in "Life in a Day".

There wasn't really any clear story path in this documentary. That may be a good thing, because then that makes it difficult for me to spoil the story for you. ^_^ Basically, it's everyone around the world going about their "normal, mundane, and routine" lives on the (for the most part) unimportant and uneventful day of July 24th, 2010.

Moments of the film that stood out for me:
  • A guy demonstrating what it's like to ride in an elevator.
  • A mother trying to convince her hyper son to calm down so they can make their Life in a Day footage, and the son whining to the camera, "Stop filming me!"
  • An Asian father and son walking around their apartment with a fish-eye lens video camera! That gave one of the most fascinating views of the world in the movie.
  • A dad teaching his teenage son how to shave.
  • A cow getting executed. (ACK! This was my absolute least favorite part ever! !,! As a vegetarian, it made me sick to my stomach to see the poor animal get shot in the head! Twice! And then see its throat get slit! (So sorry for the graphicness, but that's really what happened. ~,~))
  • A lady sky-diving! Now that looked like fun!!!
  • A gay guy calling his grandmother up to admit that he had a boyfriend. ^_^
  • This Russian dude jumping out of a building from 2 stories high, leaping over walls, climbing trees, even shop-lifting. O,o He was so totally badass! Like a freakin' werewolf from the Twilight Saga!
  • A young woman using Skype to talk to her traveling husband. (When they ended the call, she cried. ~,~)
  • People releasing these awesome paper bag and candle hot-air balloons as the day drew to a close. That was sooo beautiful!
  • And so much more!

No comments: