Thursday, December 11, 2014

Star vs The Forces of Evil

Don't ask me how I came across this little gem, but I've just discovered a new reason to look forward to 2015! It's called "Star vs The Forces of Evil". It's a cartoon show that will be on Disney Channel, which is amazing in itself, that I'm getting excited about a Disney Channel cartoon! But seriously, give this intro a watch and tell me you're not at least a little curious to see what this show is about!


Lyrics:
It's gonna get a little weird, gonna get a little wild
I ain't from 'round here, I'm from another dimension
Gonna get a little weird, gonna have a good time!
I ain't from 'round here, I'm from another... Whoo-hoo!
Yeh-Heah!
I'm talkin' rainbows, I'm talkin' puppies
Puh-puh-puh-puh-puh-puh-puh
Whooooooooo!
It's gonna get a little weird, gonna get a little wild
I ain't from 'round here, I'm from another dimension!

See what I mean? The music alone gets you super pumped up! But the animation style as well looks really good and fluid and awesome. It's like a mix of Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Steven Universe, with a little Sailor Moon thrown in for good measure.

I love that it tells the entire story in its opening sequence, but still leaves a lot of questions open. Since I'll have to wait until January to see the first episode, but I'm still yearning for answers, I thought I'd examine this sequence to see what I can hope to expect. Excuse me as I become extremely analytical about this...

The intro starts by showing this wand with a star, butterfly, wings and a crown all integrated into the design. It must be a precious and very special magical object.

As you can see, the weilder of this important wand is a crazy/cool teenage princess named Star Butterfly (according to Wikipedia). She lives in a kooky kingdom that's obviously a different dimension from Earth.

In her kingdom, Star enjoys fighting monsters and villains with her rainbow-spewing wand. She is a badass.

Her parents (the king and queen, I'm guessing, from their crowns) don't seem to approve of their teenage daughter battling trolls and the like. Perhaps that's not how a princess is supposed to act? So like any good parents, they forcibly send her off through a tear in their universe to a different dimension, Earth, so she'll be protected from the forces of evil (or so they'd hope).

In this world, she meets a boy her age named Marco Diaz. It seems he's a green belt in karate, which means he's not the best possible fighter, but he should be able to hold his own in self-defense, should the opportunity arise. By the way they look at each other, Star and Marco become friends really quickly, despite their coming from different dimensions.

According to Wikipedia, Star comes to live with Marco and his family, who by the character and house designs are quite Hispanic. I also really like Star's new Earth clothes, with her dragon boots and her horned headband.

Even with Star far away from her home, she still runs into scary beasts that seem to come from another world, like this crazy, drooling pink bug thing. Their school is called Echo Creek, and they seem to be in a place on Earth that has palm trees and all the houses are set on hills. I suppose this is California, judging from the star and bear flag outside the school.

Ah, turns out the bug isn't so scary after all. He just wants to party! Maybe not all monsters are as bad as they appear to be.

I know this sequence happens really quickly, but here are a couple of kids that go to their school who may or may not be actual characters on the show. I just thought the fat kid with a face on his tummy was funny. He's gotta have some role in an episode or two, maybe as comic relief? Can't tell much from his friend.
This also happens so quick you'd almost miss it. I suppose Star gets her monster-fighting missions from the floating head of a unicorn? Also here's another person who might be an important character, a sporty chick who enjoys skateboarding. I think it's wonderful that cartoons these days are fully demonstrating what bad-asses girls can be, like Legend of Korra and Steven Universe! Anyway, I could be totally wrong on this, but I'll bet there will be a story that involves Marco being attracted to this girl and Star being a tad jealous.
So I suppose Star's wand or the unicorn (or maybe the scissors in the unicorn's mouth?) creates these rifts in the universe that allow her to go to all sorts of places and bring Marco on wild and weird adventures! Places like...
A spacey cloud world!
The underground lair of a villain guarded by laser-shooting robots!
An ocean terrorized by ruthless bunny-pirates! (See their long ears?)
A hellish fire world inhabited by a handsome demon with horns and 3 eyes, who seems to have a thing for Star, since he's holding a rose out to her, no doubt comparing his own heart to the burning flower. Ooh, a little competition for Marco!
There are many monsters and general forces of evil who have it in for the magical princess of bad-ass.
But I have a feeling that Star and Marco are equal to the task. ^_^
In a show with a cast this colorful, I have no doubt that this cartoon is going to be FREAKING AWESOME!

Apparently Star vs The Forces of Evil was created by Daron Nefcy, who is the first woman to create an animated series for Disney Channel, and also the first woman to create a Disney XD series. That's incredible!






To finish this, I'll leave you with the outro, which is equally cute and shows what a great show this could potentially be. ^_^



I think Earth is a pretty great place
That's saying something, cause I've been through outer space
I think it suits me, it's just my style
I think I'm gonna stay a little while
I think that strangers are just friends you haven't met
I've blasted monsters and I never break a sweat
I really think that I could call this place home

No comments: